Thursday, October 11, 2007

What do you do with a messy room?

I am sure that my Mom is looking down and laughing at me. I had one of the messiest rooms as a kid. My brother - total neat freak - he'd spend hours organizing. Me, I would try, I would really try but in the end I could never quite get it all done. Now my girls, my girls are well, messy. The worst part is THERE ARE TWO OF THEM! The positions have switched. I am the frustrated mom, the girls are just that - girls, still learning, little, impressionable. I have officially become MY mom. I have begun ranting like she did. I am sure it really helps the situation! In fact I just told them that I was going to get a box and put all their stuff in in. I don't want to do that!!! Like I want more to do! So, ladies, what do I do? Put up with it? Discipline them for it? Take away their stuff? Unfortunately, I think the answer requires LOTS of work. I think I need to teach them how to be neat. I am not neat! How do I teach them something that I have not learned? I guess we'll learn together. Yipee.

2 comments:

katie bean said...

Tasha, I have a facebook page(not much there) to reconnect with Greenville alum. Anyway, Amy Tammany wrote me and left me this message:
Amy commented on Katie Bean Perry's photo. 9:17amEveryone looks great! How is Tasha doing? I counselled at EIBC with her one summer. Is she still in MN?

The Harings said...

So one thing I was thinking is that my mom and I struggle with this too. To be realistic I think everyone struggles with this, some people are just better at keeping up with it. One thing that I learned from Trading Spaces and Clean Sweep and shows like that is you start with one room at a time. For example, You might want to tackle just the laundry room today, not the bathroom too but just the laundry room, take everything out of it, vacuum etc... then put back in only the things you need/ want. Have the kids help you too! They can do simple things like help you lug things into the other room and vacuum a little or dusting, put on some music and even a lesson if you wish. Maybe make a game out of it or a lesson of service or you could also explain to the kids that God has blessed us with so much, so much more than we can ever need, so much so that we can even have time taking care of it. That part of being a good steward is taking care of the things we are given etc.. something like that. Whatever you do don't get overwhelmed...if you are your biting off maybe more than you can chew in a day. Like in the movie "what about bob" take those baby steps to accomplish big tasks. Hope that helps a little, Good Luck.